Author Topic: Movie Reviews  (Read 5225 times)

Movie Reviews
« on: April 06, 2022, 08:37:30 AM »
I saw Moonfall earlier tonight and thought it was a decent sci-fi/action flick with a minimum of woke politics injected into it. Roland Emmerich is pretty hit and miss for me and usually more miss than hit but this is really one of his best efforts. It takes some fringe theories about the moon that, certainly, we who move in these circles are familiar with and builds it’s story upon this. However, this is at least more plausible than some of the over the top visuals showing the moon getting super close to the Earth without gravity taking over and colliding into it. There are moments like this where you may question the reality but the compelling nature of the story gave me all the license I needed to suspend my disbelief and just go with it. Emmerich is unapologetic about the fact that he wants to make “popcorn movies” and this is certainly that but it’s also thought provoking in some interesting ways too and Jackstar will probably appreciate that at it’s essence it is a cautionary tale about AI based nanotech gone awry.

Re: Movie Reviews
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 09:18:31 AM »
AI based nanotech gone awry.

Unconscious intelligence will only go so far when it comes to convincing all the molecules in your (blank) to simultaneously jump five feet to the left.

it was a decent sci-fi/action flick with a minimum of woke politics injected into it.

Did you see The Fifth Wave? Needles.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 10:17:54 AM »
I saw Moonfall

I just watched a trailer. If you want to know the truth, most of the way through I was thinking, "Why would anyone either see this -or- make it?" And then I recognized that I was getting more Samwell.

So I can see the draw. Hopefully he uploads The Jeff Goldblum Screensaver up to The Moon with his iPhone at the end, saving the day. No spoilers, please.

However, this is at least more plausible than some of the over the top visuals showing the moon getting super close to the Earth without gravity taking over and colliding into it.

They have an invisibility cloak now. A gravity cloak cannot be far behind. Inertial dampeners! Deflector shields! You know, just because a satellite is really big in volume, it might not be very big in mass...

Huh. Whoa, wait. Whoa. Whose side am I on here anyway? I'll just shut my whorish mouth now... with feeling.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 10:25:23 AM »
I just watched a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 09:09:44 AM »
I saw Moonfall

I'm watching the new Total Recall. I say ‘new’ because it's the remake that I haven't seen yet and it came out so long ago that it was in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart for $1.33.

So far I really like it. I heard everybody else hated it. I remember going to see the first one on opening night and then turning right around and buying another ticket watching again that same night. I even used my same seat again. I could have just sat there and watched it again without leaving my seat to buy another ticket, but that would have been wrong, and my date would have complained.

Just kidding. That wouldn't have been wrong. And I was alone. Of course. And I wouldn't date a woman who complained — dare I say, narked — about such a thing. I just thought the movie was so good that it deserved to be paid for twice.

Those were the days. Now I got this cool movie for $1.33, I got a free dog just for being nice, and I can smoke all the weed I want at an obscenely affordable price and still remain a free man.

The hemlock should be kicking in any minute now.

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 06:43:00 PM »
I'm watching the new Total Recall.  [...] So far I really like it.

In the future, all films will--or should--be plot-centered on a man running from his e-wife with his q-wife, neither of whom don't even know who he even fucking is but desperately want to play marry/fuck/kill with him fuckin’ blindfolded anyway, and also secretly own/control 51% of the corporate conglomerate parent of Taco Bell while the other one is a fucked-off chambermaid/dopewhore/sovereign freedom fighter/scrappy rebelpunk.

Asses in seats, People. This is what it's all gonna be about. This is where the rubber and the sausage meets the road through my kitchen--paved with lasagna. Semper fi, motherfuckers!!!