Author Topic: Natural Phenomena  (Read 70844 times)

Re: Natural Phenomena
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 09:53:28 PM »

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2021, 10:19:12 PM »

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 01:38:55 PM »

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2021, 12:24:44 AM »

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2021, 10:06:45 PM »

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2021, 10:50:30 PM »

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 06:46:45 AM »

Wow. I hope the lava doesn't hurt the diamond mines. We can always find more children to mine them- but not if they are filled with lava.  :(. An unlimited, disposable resource to bring valuable resources to the surface.

*Alright... I hope everybody manages to get out of the way...

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2021, 08:51:03 AM »
Wow. I hope the lava doesn't hurt the diamond mines. We can always find more children to mine them- but not if they are filled with lava.  :(. An unlimited, disposable resource to bring valuable resources to the surface.

*Alright... I hope everybody manages to get out of the way...
The "children"???  What do do mean?  Please explain, and be specific.  Thank you.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
Child labour is extensively used in Congo for mining. Slave wages or outright slavery to secure handsome profits for Debeers and the diamond industry and place a nice rock on the left hand of any person stupid enough to say "I do" while supporting that industry. Prior to the early 1900's a wedding ring contained a variety of stones. And then they hit on a great marketing campaign to make the millionaires into billionaires. And children pay the price today.

Simply search for congo diamond mine child labour... As I said, a worthless resource (children in the third world) used to mine a valuable resource (a diamond for the ring of the next bride.)

A nice snapshot of the joy of the rituals around marriage. At least the bride to be will be wearing a smile...

***Wow, WOTR. You really are a cynical bastard this evening.

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2021, 09:35:11 AM »
Child labour is extensively used in Congo for mining. Slave wages or outright slavery to secure handsome profits for Debeers and the diamond industry and place a nice rock on the left hand of any person stupid enough to say "I do" while supporting that industry. Prior to the early 1900's a wedding ring contained a variety of stones. And then they hit on a great marketing campaign to make the millionaires into billionaires. And children pay the price today.

Simply search for congo diamond mine child labour... As I said, a worthless resource (children in the third world) used to mine a valuable resource (a diamond for the ring of the next bride.)

A nice snapshot of the joy of the rituals around marriage. At least the bride to be will be wearing a smile...

***Wow, WOTR. You really are a cynical bastard this evening.

I did say specific, and your followed through.  This is a heart shredder.  Is there anyway you know of, that we can rescue these dear ones?  I'll be happy to donate to a trustworthy fund.

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2021, 09:15:17 PM »
I did say specific, and your followed through.  This is a heart shredder.  Is there anyway you know of, that we can rescue these dear ones?  I'll be happy to donate to a trustworthy fund.

I don't think so. The value of a diamond is the same no matter where it was mined. Various places sell "ethically sourced diamonds." But then the ones from Congo just go to places where nobody cares. And after the initial sale, nobody is going to question (or be able to verify) the source. As long as there is a diamond market, and as long as Debeers manages to keep the suckers believing that a diamond is a necessary symbol of undying love that requires at least three months salary to demonstrate that love, the market will always be there.

*I think you like conspiracy theories. Are you aware that Debeers was owned by the Oppenheimer family from the 1920's until fairly recently? Look down at your left hand and think how much you gave them as a sucker for their marketing ploy.

Diamonds went from very rare (only possessed by those with extraordinary wealth) to quite common when discoveries of some mines in the late 1800's. DeBeers bought 90% of daimond mines and the production of the others and was the only place that was selling them. They would keep stock and set the price for the next year (holding excess diamonds from the market to keep their prices rising each year.) In the 1940's demand started falling. Ad executives started a campaign to equate love with diamonds, and that the size of the diamond demonstrated how much you loved your bride.

It worked. And in the late 40's they coined the phrase "A diamond is forever." I just found a fun article from the business insider stating that in 1967 Japan 5% of brides wore diamonds, in 1981, 60% wore diamonds. Good marketing by a company killing children to enrich themselves (though I'm sure that the Oppenheimers were very good people. Philanthropic like Bill Gates.)

https://www.businessinsider.com/history-of-de-beers-2011-12?international=true&r=US&IR=T#if-you-can-believe-it-some-industries-have-even-more-devious-business-practices-than-this-one-13

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2021, 08:10:43 PM »
I've made too many posts. I'm in so much trouble.

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2021, 07:23:55 AM »

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2021, 10:02:04 PM »

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 12:13:46 AM »