Author Topic: The Dumb Sheeple will get us all killed  (Read 35113 times)

Re: The Dumb Sheeple will get us all killed
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2021, 05:58:00 PM »
It must be difficult to get the right balance when it comes to older people. My parents died over a decade ago but I have been thinking of what a nightmare it would have been because they both had a history of lung trouble and they would have been right in the middle of the riskiest groups.

I would say it is paradoxically easier when you can take love for granted and can speak with perfect candor.  There are millions of different definitions of filial piety being reached, no one superior.  I feel bad for the ones who can't decide for themselves.

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2021, 06:58:28 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/ActNormalOrElse/status/1379044386395320325

there is a small but loud and absolutely real subset of people who don't want the pandemic to end because they like being the best at following The Rules

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2021, 08:24:45 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/ActNormalOrElse/status/1379044386395320325

there is a small but loud and absolutely real subset of people who don't want the pandemic to end because they like being the best at following The Rules

There will always be a bunch of educated idiots — streetcar-problem survivors — who think it’s great to advertise how cheaply and gleefully they would run over their mothers.  Contemptible wretches.  In public policy it is always everyone else's mother who gets creamed and they can't pull that damned switch fast enough.

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2021, 09:13:17 PM »
Thus long succeeding critics justly reign'd,
Licence repress'd, and useful laws ordain'd;
Learning and Rome alike in empire grew,
And arts still follow'd where her eagles flew;
From the same foes, at last, both felt their doom,
And the same age saw learning fall, and Rome.
With tyranny, then superstition join'd,
As that the body, this enslav'd the mind;
Much was believ'd, but little understood,
And to be dull was constru'd to be good;
A second deluge learning thus o'er-run,
And the monks finish'd what the Goths begun.

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2021, 09:20:10 PM »
Don't you find his endless couplets get a bit wearisome after a while? It's like the dripping of a tap.

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2021, 09:23:28 PM »
I find this more flexible and amusing. Pope can get a bit oppressive for my taste:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/50579/the-ladys-dressing-room

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2021, 09:32:35 PM »
Don't you find his endless couplets get a bit wearisome after a while? It's like the dripping of a tap.

NO you know he is my literary deity and prophet — he saw ALL — and anyway you started it.  I do not quite have that just-so sense you find among Germans who are happy to pass off the basest aphorism with the most punchable look of complacency but I love the pure power he packs into his own constraints as a mark of discipline.

These useful arms in magazines we place,
All ranged in order and disposed with grace,
But less to please the eye than arm the hand,
Still fit for use and ready at command.

But I’m happy to wander lonely as a cloud, too, on occasion.

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2021, 09:39:47 PM »
I find this more flexible and amusing. Pope can get a bit oppressive for my taste:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/50579/the-ladys-dressing-room

Thank you!  I absolutely adore it!

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2021, 09:27:33 PM »
There will always be a bunch of educated idiots — streetcar-problem survivors — who think it’s great to advertise how cheaply and gleefully they would run over their mothers.  Contemptible wretches.  In public policy it is always everyone else's mother who gets creamed and they can't pull that damned switch fast enough.

Are you not one of these people yourself, making fun of those flaunting The Rules?

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2021, 10:21:28 PM »
I have been severely limiting any socializing since I want to see my folks regularly, but my mom told me they finally made their appointments yesterday after some inexplicable foot-dragging which, I confess, produced some uncharitable thoughts.  Gentlemen, start your engines!
Funny. My mother has decided to take a "wait and see" approach. I still see her regular, and she still socializes (illegally) with a number of people. She is more social than me (both of us try to be somewhat careful- but both of us continue to work- so you really cannot limit risk that much.) She has chose to skip the fear part of this pandemic.*

*I, of course, am still huddled afraid and crying in my basement aside from when I visit my mother...

I am reminded of the hoary story about the funeral of the local butcher where the organist played Sheep May Safely Graze.

That is funny...

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2021, 10:43:10 PM »
I am not an anti vaxxer. I am going to get the vaxx in 2031 after they get the chinks worked out of it

There are three people I may use that line on...

Fact is that while I don't believe the complete doomsday (we are all going to die) predictions of the vaccine, I also refused to wholesale swallow the doomsday (we are all going to die) predictions of Covid. I think everybody should decide for themselves and weigh their risks and comfort. If I were 85 in a nursing home, I would probably be first in line (actually, if I were in a nursing home, I may abstain in the hopes of contracting Covid and kicking off- but that should be a choice left to the individual.)

As it stands, I know a few people who may chose to end their relationship to me if I refuse to be vaccinated. I laugh, and will "sacrifice" those relationships. I would also say around 50% of the people I know want to be first in line the day that they are eligible for vaccines. But these are probably the same people who get the flu shot each year (not judging- I just don't bother.)

I'm honestly one of the people who hopes that I had covid (I took a day off last February, before it was a know thing. For me that is very rare. I was also in a very high risk environment with lots of exposure to individuals traveling.) Or that I get it (and preferably not spread it.)

*On a side note, this conversation reminded me that I should call my employee with Covid to show interest in how he is doing...

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2021, 10:52:40 PM »
Good to see you WOTR!

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2021, 10:57:43 PM »
Here is more of the Burmese Coup Dancer:

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2021, 11:10:25 PM »
Good to see you WOTR!

Thanks. I saw Azz was back- but had to take the time to make a new email address and register again. Glad to see you here as well.

*On a side note, the employee is doing well. Told me that he has decreased energy and has had the regular flu worse in the past. His wife (who he got it from through her workplace), is apparently asymptomatic. So, good news all around (provided that his "close contacts" come back with negative tests.)