Author Topic: Gardens, Lawns and such  (Read 17657 times)

Gardens, Lawns and such
« on: April 19, 2021, 08:02:09 PM »
Apparently there is a freak late April snow/freeze about to hit the midwest and the Gingko tree lied to me about the last freeze of the season.

I will have to bring the Lemon tree and the five palms back inside for a few days, dammit.  Just took them out a week ago!  I will be leaving the baby columnar Oaks outside, and hopefully the three or four that have leafed out already won't be killed...  Maybe I will bring those guys inside too.  Nautical Shore.

The Bent-grass is doing fantastic where it has become established, and I have been on the every other day mowing Basic Lawn Maintenance for at least a month now.  The Bermuda-grass in the past week has started to wake up in a few spots, which is surprising as the overnight temperatures have hovered around the mid-forties (F) hopefully this "snowmegeddon" doesn't put the new sprouts into an early dormancy.

This year, I will attempt to sprout some Liriope from seeds I harvested last fall.  From what little research I have done on that it appears that it will be a difficult project.  To make it even more interesting, the two bowls I was keeping the variegated/non-variegated seeds segregated in were knocked to the floor sometime in mid-winter and they are all now mixed together.

The potting soil/top-dressing projeckt is awaiting the purchase of both peat-moss and a trailer-load of sand.  As well as some thyme to make that stuff.  The left-over sand from the potting soil will be used for top-dressing the yard a bit and finishing the herring-bone brick path between the neighbor's house and mine.

Plant Thunderdome is doing well, most of the Seedums, Day-lillies, Iris and Columbine (etc) have started waking up.  I think the removal of the foundation destroying elm tree has been instrumental in that.  I need to get out and do a Search-and-Destroy mission on weeds in the Plant Thunderdome as well.

I am unsure if I should post pictures in hear, I don't want to overburden the storage space on the server...  So for now I will continue to document the progress but will refrain from clogging up the AzzGab server with that shit.

Cheers!

Re: Gardens, Lawns and such
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 10:34:58 PM »
Apparently there is a freak late April snow/freeze about to hit the midwest and the Gingko tree lied to me about the last freeze of the season.

I will have to bring the Lemon tree and the five palms back inside for a few days, dammit.  Just took them out a week ago!  I will be leaving the baby columnar Oaks outside, and hopefully the three or four that have leafed out already won't be killed...  Maybe I will bring those guys inside too.  Nautical Shore.

The Bent-grass is doing fantastic where it has become established, and I have been on the every other day mowing Basic Lawn Maintenance for at least a month now.  The Bermuda-grass in the past week has started to wake up in a few spots, which is surprising as the overnight temperatures have hovered around the mid-forties (F) hopefully this "snowmegeddon" doesn't put the new sprouts into an early dormancy.

This year, I will attempt to sprout some Liriope from seeds I harvested last fall.  From what little research I have done on that it appears that it will be a difficult project.  To make it even more interesting, the two bowls I was keeping the variegated/non-variegated seeds segregated in were knocked to the floor sometime in mid-winter and they are all now mixed together.

The potting soil/top-dressing projeckt is awaiting the purchase of both peat-moss and a trailer-load of sand.  As well as some thyme to make that stuff.  The left-over sand from the potting soil will be used for top-dressing the yard a bit and finishing the herring-bone brick path between the neighbor's house and mine.

Plant Thunderdome is doing well, most of the Seedums, Day-lillies, Iris and Columbine (etc) have started waking up.  I think the removal of the foundation destroying elm tree has been instrumental in that.  I need to get out and do a Search-and-Destroy mission on weeds in the Plant Thunderdome as well.

I am unsure if I should post pictures in hear, I don't want to overburden the storage space on the server...  So for now I will continue to document the progress but will refrain from clogging up the AzzGab server with that shit.

Cheers!

I fear for my Fig trees with the cold coming. They were off to an incredible start too.  :'(

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 01:30:20 AM »

Cheers!

Growing season where I am from last frost to first? 90 days. Yup- 3 months. No lemon trees, no fig trees, no palm trees. I am going to have to find a place to host a few pictures. Want to guess what is in my flower bed? Pretty much exactly what is in yours (with the exception of lemon trees.) I'm not joking. Day lilys and Iris's make up the bulk. There is a "columbine" patch at the front, and sedeum on the other side. My main beds sound to be planted almost exactly like "plant thunderdome." (But I keep a clump of globe thistle as well in the very dry portion under an overhang.)

Did you google street view my house and copy my plant choices?

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 01:46:10 AM »
I am thinking about planting a Zinnia garden. Last time i did it my yard was full of butterflies and hummingbirds . The hummingbirds would fly up to my within arms reach as i watered them. Having nature frens is rewarding as fug i think i will plant some butterfly milkweed too.

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 03:31:23 AM »
Trumpet vine is pretty good for humming birds, AI.  I have that growing in a few select spots, if you stake it you can train it into a tree which is pretty neat.

I have the common orange, but apparently there are different colors.  Somewhere around town I saw some yellow, and Goggle-image seems to indicate there might be a red version.

It would be cool to get all three colors and train them into a "tree."

----------

WOTR, maybe you goggle street-viewed Plant Thunderdome and copied me?  I will have to take close-up shots of all the different seedums I have, I tend to "steal" varieties I don't have when I spot them in other people's yards.  It is a sort of a "guerilla Basic Lawn Maintenance" I do for the community if I think their seedums are growing outside their beds, which they tend to do a lot...  As for the Columbine, I think I have only two kinds an orange/yellow and a pink/white, I keep an eye out for those too and steal seed-pods of stuff I don't have.  Hah.

----------

WAN way too cold for fig trees here, although the Hajji-food place up the street had one in a pot outside that they let freeze to death a few years back.  I think that was after they refused to water it...  I remember flirting with the hawt waitress and telling her to water the thing (it had dropped all its leaves) it came back amazingly but the next time I went by was after the first freeze and it was still outside, dead.  Nautical Shore about the hawt waitress, I think she works somewhere else now.

My massive gardening skillz probably frightened her.

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 06:02:57 AM »
The Black Amber Japanese Plum has now been planted, steps from the backyard door and equidistant from the towering cherry trees in full white bloom. We have the usual cast this time of year, red Japanese Quince and orange Japanese Globeflower, a flailing yellow Forsythia as well. For some fortuitous reason, summer is upon us in this mid April. The crocuses, snowdrops and daffodils have past, and now the tulips and tiger lilies are in turn. Also the first week or so for dandelions. There is no such thing as a weed on my property. Neighbours can go pollinate themselves. The only Basic Lawn Maintenance I do is basically as little as possible. The prime mantra is "Let it grow".

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2021, 03:43:57 AM »
The Black Amber Japanese Plum has now been planted, steps from the backyard door and equidistant from the towering cherry trees in full white bloom. We have the usual cast this time of year, red Japanese Quince and orange Japanese Globeflower, a flailing yellow Forsythia as well. For some fortuitous reason, summer is upon us in this mid April. The crocuses, snowdrops and daffodils have past, and now the tulips and tiger lilies are in turn. Also the first week or so for dandelions. There is no such thing as a weed on my property. Neighbours can go pollinate themselves. The only Basic Lawn Maintenance I do is basically as little as possible. The prime mantra is "Let it grow".

I have a few Plum trees, although they are native to the area.  I think the Honeysuckle is some sort of foreign invader species, I am training it into hedgerows around the fence line.  Probably the Bermuda-grass & Bent-grasses in the lawn are not native either.  I work with a lady in the neighborhood that does the "Let it grow" thing, it is called "permaculture."

If you look into it, you might note that it is a relatively new "science" (as it purports itself to be) but I think it falls more into an "art" at this point in its' development.  I am not knocking it too hard, I use some of the "principles" myself.  I just sort of chuckle to myself that the hippie-neighborhood lady I work with actually paid for an "official permaculture(tm) accreditation."

I digress, my Plum trees are "American Plum" of some type.  Birds poop the seeds and I let them grow in select locations or transplant them.

Good to know you are a fellow Basic Lawn Maintainer!  In response to your "Let it grow," I say "I have to MOW!"

I finally got a Round Tuit on the picture front this morning:

18MAY2021

Which was actually just seeing all three knuckleheads enjoying the brief respite from the rain this week.  I think today is/was/will be the only "dry" day until after the weekend.   You can see the American Plums, two of them at least, the older third that my asshole neighbor Round-Upped last fall is obscured by them.  It survived, but is now shading the container garden area but I will not prune it this year so it has a chance to recover.  That neighbor is an asshole, I hope he dies of COVID really soon...

Anyway, following are shots from 25AUG2019 when I started the project and 03MAY2020 & 18MAY2020 which are about the same time last year:

25AUG2019

03MAY2020

18MAY2020

The Bermuda Grass is just starting to "wake up" as it is not quite warm enough for it to go bonkers just yet.  I have some 1 lb bags of seed that I expect to be able to throw out sometime next month when the soil temperature gets up to 70F.  I think that will be the key to getting the whole yard filled in with grass, the winter-loving Bent Grass has very shallow roots which the dogs tend to rip up pretty easily, the Bermuda however has very deep roots and they cannot tear it up as badly.   If I can get the two grasses to grow together in a synergystic(sp) manner I think it will be indestructible.  If the budget and Bermuda spread allows I may over-seed this fall with more Bentgrass.  Nautical Shore.

This year it will all get mowed at a constant 1" height, last year I adjusted up to 2" for the hot summer as the Bermuda was not established.  Hopefully, that will not be indicated this year.  Seems like Spring ran long this year for some reason.

Hear are a few pictures of my Liriope (hippie-lady I work with didn't know wtf I was talking about) that I took today:

Varigated Liriope

Plain Liriope ("Monkey Grass")

This ends the People's Free Democratic Republic of pate "State of the Lawn" address.

Thank you for coming.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 07:51:08 AM »
I have a few Plum trees, although they are native to the area.  I think the Honeysuckle is some sort of foreign invader species, I am training it into hedgerows around the fence line.  Probably the Bermuda-grass & Bent-grasses in the lawn are not native either.  I work with a lady in the neighborhood that does the "Let it grow" thing, it is called "permaculture."

If you look into it, you might note that it is a relatively new "science" (as it purports itself to be) but I think it falls more into an "art" at this point in its' development.  I am not knocking it too hard, I use some of the "principles" myself.  I just sort of chuckle to myself that the hippie-neighborhood lady I work with actually paid for an "official permaculture(tm) accreditation."

I digress, my Plum trees are "American Plum" of some type.  Birds poop the seeds and I let them grow in select locations or transplant them.

Good to know you are a fellow Basic Lawn Maintainer!  In response to your "Let it grow," I say "I have to MOW!"

I finally got a Round Tuit on the picture front this morning:

18MAY2021

Which was actually just seeing all three knuckleheads enjoying the brief respite from the rain this week.  I think today is/was/will be the only "dry" day until after the weekend.   You can see the American Plums, two of them at least, the older third that my asshole neighbor Round-Upped last fall is obscured by them.  It survived, but is now shading the container garden area but I will not prune it this year so it has a chance to recover.  That neighbor is an asshole, I hope he dies of COVID really soon...

Anyway, following are shots from 25AUG2019 when I started the project and 03MAY2020 & 18MAY2020 which are about the same time last year:

25AUG2019

03MAY2020

18MAY2020

The Bermuda Grass is just starting to "wake up" as it is not quite warm enough for it to go bonkers just yet.  I have some 1 lb bags of seed that I expect to be able to throw out sometime next month when the soil temperature gets up to 70F.  I think that will be the key to getting the whole yard filled in with grass, the winter-loving Bent Grass has very shallow roots which the dogs tend to rip up pretty easily, the Bermuda however has very deep roots and they cannot tear it up as badly.   If I can get the two grasses to grow together in a synergystic(sp) manner I think it will be indestructible.  If the budget and Bermuda spread allows I may over-seed this fall with more Bentgrass.  Nautical Shore.

This year it will all get mowed at a constant 1" height, last year I adjusted up to 2" for the hot summer as the Bermuda was not established.  Hopefully, that will not be indicated this year.  Seems like Spring ran long this year for some reason.

Hear are a few pictures of my Liriope (hippie-lady I work with didn't know wtf I was talking about) that I took today:

Varigated Liriope

Plain Liriope ("Monkey Grass")

This ends the People's Free Democratic Republic of pate "State of the Lawn" address.

Thank you for coming.

The Japanese Plum is a Hail Mary, but one that I am well prepared to pray for. Cross-pollination is crucial to this one for any kind of fruitfulness. My current project, though, just happens to be orange honeysuckle cuttings steeped in willow water for a stretch of neighbour's fence, where the unkemptness of my yard offends his eye. The honeysuckle will come from the woods nearby on the trail that leads to the river. The willow shoots will come from my ancient 50 foot willow, the one he worries will topple one day and fall on him in his sleep. C'est la vie. If anything, my bedroom is more aligned if it ever comes to that. The beautiful windstorm last night had me scuttling this afternoon for an hour, rounding up the broken willow branches, leaves and limbs. I've taken to saving every scrap for burning charcoal in the Great Ongoing Biochar Project.

The principles of Permiculture may have been accepted relatively recently, but I've always assumed there was a universal sensibility in its precepts. My Scottish forbears, of the many, came nigh 40 miles or so from Findhorn and I've always had a mystical feeling for nature. Intuitively, this is the right track.

But I must confess, I do maintain a small amount of boulevard lawn that flows from one neighbour's property onto my own. This is actually a joy to cut with my push mower, pure ASMR.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 06:49:41 AM »
Tonight SHOULD be the last frost warning for the spring. Already the Hepatica has finished flowering, the crocuses are done, and the tulips and daffodils are now out. The first iris of spring also has two flowers showing. I know it is probably summer down there- but up here, the tomatoes, peppers and annual planters are sitting in my front entrance sheltering from Jackstar er... rather Jack Frost.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 08:53:38 PM »
I may have to start cultivating ginger in the People's Free Democratic Republic of pate, it appears to be relatively simple:

I have the perfect container for it;  a 12"x12"x36" rectangle that failed miserably for growing beets.  I bet ginger would do freaking awesome in it.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 02:49:31 AM »
I may have to start cultivating ginger in the People's Free Democratic Republic of pate, it appears to be relatively simple:

I have the perfect container for it;  a 12"x12"x36" rectangle that failed miserably for growing beets.  I bet ginger would do freaking awesome in it.

Squirrels? Raccoons? I don't know what the hell.
Cages and bricks, they still got in and ate the whole damn thing.

hungry little buggers

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2023, 07:34:39 PM »
One Hundred Thirteen, FFSThree Day Weekend, FSS
Code: [Select]
"JEWELED ALIEN" : "TRIUMVIRATE ARCH" : "WILD RED 'EARRINGS" : "OVER ARCHON" : "METHUSULA PROGENY"
Quote from: The Bible, 1 KINGS 3:13
...I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days..

My fellow pateriots, The State of The Yard is good.

In fact, on this auspicious day in history the People's Free Democratic Republic of pate has yet again passed another inevitable milestone.

I am pleased to tell you that one of our many goals on the Long March to Global Supremacy has achieved success.

Of course, I refer to the Glorious Morel Mushroom Projekt:  which will inevitably result in an Agricultural Export Product;  as well as being a special centerpiece on various State Banquet Table Plates as the bountiful seasonal harvests in the coming years will prove.

Today, while digging up a clump of Wild Clematis (Clematis virginiana) for the Dear Leader's Mother;  I found in the North Forty of the PFDRp's territorial holdings no fewer than FIVE Morel Mushrooms:

Now the second phase of the Morel Mushroom Projekt can proceed:  we will propogate this Priceless Natural Resourse into the NISRKCHBP(Non-Indigenous Species Relocation Kamp, Compost Heap & Burn Pit)AREA;  where they will have an excellent chance to thrive and produce more valuable Natural Resources for the PFDRp.

Hear;  celebratory Muzaks:

Thank you in Advance! It is an honor to serve.

pate/K_Dubb 2024
"WHO shat in the interregnum?" & "WHO farted in the elevator?"

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 08:13:42 PM »
Thanks in part to my recent discovery of the grhäus (), I have wasted a fuck-ton of thyme over this weekend NOT doing Basic Lawn Maintenance.

Instead I have been feverishly deriving, calculating, and solving various trigonometric functions in order to create a blueprint for the Optimal Greenhouse that should be built on my one-time garage concrete pad in the Back Forty.

My brane is beginning to hurt, and I must force myself away from the highly detailed plans.  I need a beer.

I am so excited with the recent developments that I have commissioned an artist to put together a rough drawing of what I currently foresee the ultimate shape of the construct to eventually resemble when viewed from Due East (looking West):

As you can clearly see from the above masterpiece, the Artistic Quality of the piece exceeds (somewhat minimally) what our old fiend BlackStar might have produced had I commissioned him for the work.

The idea here is to maximize solar insolation during the winter months:  I have used the local approximate Winter Solstice sun elevation (26.5°S), Summer Solstice Sun elevation (74.3°N), and 181.3125grhäus () to arrive at the "North/South Roof Peak line/curve" approximated in the image above & precisely depicted in a set of Top Seekrut plans hidden and encrypted on my computer's hard drive.

One may note the the Northern Brick Wall will extend to some height (8 to 9 feet), I intend to construct a earth berm on the outside that will hopefully work as a heat sink/reservoir during the winter months so that my Tropical Plants will not freeze to death.  I may incorporate a water feature of some sort on the inside wall, to further assist in that endeavor.  I might even extend that water feature (pool/pond/waterfall) to the exterior that may be shut off during the winter months for summer aesthetic effects, Nautical Shore.

In any case, I have clearly spent far too long on this project this weekend and need to get to my Basic Lawn Maintenance & possible Beer Drinking to alleviate my mathematically induced brane-ache.

Cheers!

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2023, 10:36:24 AM »
There is something growing in my back yard, prolifically and perennially, that looks, for all I can discern, like Wild Celery ie. Angelica of some obscure variety. Something similar to Angelica Californica but the leaves seem somewhat different.

Should we taste this? Perhaps the Universal Edibility Test is in order.

Would they make good fishing poles or perhaps a useful musical instrument?

Now if only I can find that Wild Lettuce hiding behind an old shed years ago.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2023, 08:46:41 PM »
There is something growing in my back yard, prolifically and perennially, that looks, for all I can discern, like Wild Celery ie. Angelica of some obscure variety. Something similar to Angelica Californica but the leaves seem somewhat different.

Should we taste this? Perhaps the Universal Edibility Test is in order.

Would they make good fishing poles or perhaps a useful musical instrument?

Now if only I can find that Wild Lettuce hiding behind an old shed years ago.

Lazar,

You might peruse the following page:

Poisonous Plants Common in North America

before consuming that.  From their listings, it appears to resemble Water Hemlock somewhat.  Perhaps even White Snakeroot (doubtful)...

It also reminds me of one of the plants that makes those annoying "sticky seeds," of which the name escapes me at the moment (assuming I even know what it is called).  Whatever it is;  probably it is safe to consume:  you'd want to make sure of that of course.   It probably won't taste all that great though.

Were I you, I would make sure I had identified it before just randomly eating a bit, or at minimum reassure myself that it was definitely NOT a known poisonous species...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, my object today was not to reply to the last post in the thread but to deliver an update on The State of The People's Free Democratic Republic of pate Lawn:

My fellow pate-riots, I am pleased to announce yet another Agricultural Success for the glorious PFDRp!

One of the small neighboring countries proximate to the PFDRp has recently begun an experimental Agricultural Program that will likely very soon begin to bear fruit.  More precisely, this neighboring country will soon be bearing (or more properly laying) Eggs of the Canard variety which are understood and prized as being somewhat richer, more flavorful and nutritious than the common Poulet variety.

These neighbors, while civilized, are somewhat short-sighted, hippie-ish, and inept in the Modern Principles of Animal Husbandry.  The Dear, Glorious, and Duly-elected by Unanimous Consent Leader of the PFDRp has entered into friendly negotiations to develop an Economic Co-Prosperity Sphere with this somewhat civil neighbor whereby the PFDRp will provide from one of its external, but wholly proprietary, sources an Animal Feed and/or Silage suitable for production of wholesome oeufs de canard.

In return, it is tacitly understood (with severe militaristic consequences up to and including eventual annexation), that the neighboring country will provide the PFDRp a suitable amount of Avian Product in return.

It has long been an unfeasible dream (due to possible Canine Army predation upon the Egg-laying Livestock) to secure domestic Egg Production for the PFDRp and this neu Diplomatic Development will make that unnecessary.

Very likely, actual annexation of this somewhat civilized neighboring country will be unnecessary as well.  Although, it is probable that they will inevitably become a Vassal State as is clearly Right, Just, and Ordained-by-God.

Hear, Muzaks (un-reviewed & yet to be assigned to its Appropriate List):

The music title and artist seemed to be complimentary to the above Address on the State of the Lawn, Nautical Shore.

That is all, Carrie Anne.