Author Topic: Gardens, Lawns and such  (Read 17656 times)

Re: Gardens, Lawns and such
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2023, 10:36:42 AM »
In fact, on this auspicious day in history the People's Free Democratic Republic of pate has yet again passed another inevitable milestone.

Where's your running mate, p8?

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2023, 05:28:32 PM »

Where's your running mate, p8?

I like to imagine he is on an extended vay-cay with his Mum on some sort of Nordic/Scandawhovian Cruise enjoying fjords, calving glaciers, and the relative comfort of glacier-cooled NordStream waters...

He has not responded to my back-channel monthly talking points memos for some thyme now.

I do not press him on his mysterious absence by flooding his Inbox.

My Official MAPA 2024 KamPain position on my Shirtless Running Mate's status is that he is burning (more properly "flaming," Nautical?) out his voluminous accrual of Official Leave and will be back in time for the purely Ceremonial Vote-Counting of our Unanimous Vic'try in Novemember 2025, if not sooner.

Hear, Muzaks:

Or it may be that he is extending the gently smoldering Month of Proudness into a Summer of the Same, Nautical Shore?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

In Memoriam

K_Dubb

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2023, 03:47:17 AM »
I like to imagine he is on an extended vay-cay with his Mum on some sort of Nordic/Scandawhovian Cruise enjoying fjords, calving glaciers, and the relative comfort of glacier-cooled NordStream waters...

He has not responded to my back-channel monthly talking points memos for some thyme now.

I do not press him on his mysterious absence by flooding his Inbox.

My Official MAPA 2024 KamPain position on my Shirtless Running Mate's status is that he is burning (more properly "flaming," Nautical?) out his voluminous accrual of Official Leave and will be back in time for the purely Ceremonial Vote-Counting of our Unanimous Vic'try in Novemember 2025, if not sooner.

Or it may be that he is extending the gently smoldering Month of Proudness into a Summer of the Same, Nautical Shore?

In Memoriam

K_Dubb

Last reported sighting. Prior to that he was begging for Shreddie
AKA Peter Wyngarde to help commemorate the Grand Coronation.
No such luck and still sulking.

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2023, 11:40:49 PM »
This appears to be some sort of tree growing in the back yard.

It would seem to be easily identifiable but so far has me stumped.

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2023, 05:03:36 PM »
This appears to be some sort of tree growing in the back yard.

It would seem to be easily identifiable but so far has me stumped.

Might be some sort of grapevine.

Vitis *nondescriptia

I think I have some Vitis vulpina growing in my yard.  Yours looks very much like them, but that doesn't mean that they are the same species.

If you are lucky they will be an "edible" type of grape, which according to folk wisdom are the grapevines that have "fuzzy" leaves.  Edible wild grapes make an excellent jelly, very tart and pretty high in the tannins too.  The seed has a bunch of tannin, so if the actual fruit portion of the grape is tiny the jelly ends up being a bit bitter after you do the "juice extraction" (crush, add water, boil, strain).

Could be something else entirely, but I'm putting my money on wild grapevine.  If that is what it is, you might want to kill what appears to be a "Devil's Walking Stick" that is in the background, the "climbing runners"(/tendrils/whatever) on those like to choke out the "host" plant it climbs on.

Plus the thorns on those guys are brutal!  If it's a Raspberry/Blackberry stem back there, well I guess leave it alone.

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2023, 04:52:07 AM »
Might be some sort of grapevine.

Vitis *nondescriptia

I think I have some Vitis vulpina growing in my yard.  Yours looks very much like them, but that doesn't mean that they are the same species.

If you are lucky they will be an "edible" type of grape, which according to folk wisdom are the grapevines that have "fuzzy" leaves.  Edible wild grapes make an excellent jelly, very tart and pretty high in the tannins too.  The seed has a bunch of tannin, so if the actual fruit portion of the grape is tiny the jelly ends up being a bit bitter after you do the "juice extraction" (crush, add water, boil, strain).

Could be something else entirely, but I'm putting my money on wild grapevine.  If that is what it is, you might want to kill what appears to be a "Devil's Walking Stick" that is in the background, the "climbing runners"(/tendrils/whatever) on those like to choke out the "host" plant it climbs on.

Plus the thorns on those guys are brutal!  If it's a Raspberry/Blackberry stem back there, well I guess leave it alone.

By Jove, I do believe you are right. Grape! Something of the sort escaped from a neighbour's yard many years ago and is propositioning my property now.

This feels like the first real day of Fall with unknown mushrooms popping up just steps from the front door.

Would these go well with your recipe by any chance?

PS. The thorny stem in the back was actually an errant rosebush, which may grow wherever it wishes as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2023, 02:43:27 AM »
By Jove, I do believe you are right. Grape! Something of the sort escaped from a neighbour's yard many years ago and is propositioning my property now.

This feels like the first real day of Fall with unknown mushrooms popping up just steps from the front door.

Would these go well with your recipe by any chance?

PS. The thorny stem in the back was actually an errant rosebush, which may grow wherever it wishes as far as I'm concerned.

I recommend only eating mushrooms that you are absolutely sure of their species...  There are some quite toxic ones out there;  the kill you dead after awful stomach cramps/convulsions/etc kind :  as well the toxic "I can smell the colors" types.

That being said, if you are a gambler your chances of that particular one (whatever it is) being one of the deadly ones is probably low.  Still, there is the small chance that it could kill you.

I would feed it to the neighbor's cat, and observe said cat for a few days to see how it does.  Then at least you will know that those mushrooms are safe for cats, and probably most other mammals as well...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your mushrooms!   I would recommend finding out what really toxic ones are common (and even uncommon) in your area, and comparing those with the one(s) that grow in your yard.  Even then, I would probably ingest small amounts of the "mystery mushroom" at a time, as you might be the unfortunate discoverer of a non-descript local toxic fungi, yikes!